I sewed this twice! My first one was off and I had to work out why. It turns out I hadn’t cut the wedges accurately enough, and also they did better with an ordinary 1/4″ seam rather than a scant one. While I was making the block the second time round I cut the background block a little bigger so that I could cut it back to the 61/2″ when I had finished the appliqué.
Above is my first attempt and I almost left it as it is, but decided I”d use this one in a mug rug at some point and went ahead and made a second one.
I can now see the centre is much better and the middle part (the cookie) is going to fit on the plate well.
And here the difference in the size of the plates can be seen. Now I will have enough room for a quarter inch seam when the blocks are joined and a little gap as the pattern intends.
Completed second attempt at block.