I am linking up with Elm Street Quilts to focus on one main goal for September.
This month I want to finish up the lap quilt I started in August, it is a nine patcher that has been cut in four to make a cornerstone quilt. I want to have it well ready for a raffle for a local school fund raising event in early November. So I want to be well ahead.
At present this is what it looks like.
I want to put on a small border around it once all the blocks are together and then to sandwich and pin baste it and then quilt and bind it. I have some wool batting and some cuddle fleece for the back to make it warm and cosy.
The fabric is mostly Galaxy by Henley Studio for Makower UK
This week I am joining up with Stitch All the Things
to look at what I need to do in the coming week, or lets re-word that… what I want to do!
- Complete the top of the 182 Solstice pattern top and once the fabric arrives start the next quilt along Grandma’s Kitchen and decide whether to go for white or cream background. Hoping it will come in the next week. Done.
- Start the quilting of a Craftsy class quilt – 2016 Block of Month – at least pin baste it together, ready for stitch in the ditch. Done
- Do the embroidery on block of Splendid Sampler Not Done
- Once embroidery block is finished start the Sew South Splendid Sampler block which has hexagons, so will be hand sewing. Not Done but started.
- Read The Dress in the Window by Sofia Grant and review. Done
- Complete 50 000 steps for the week. Done 59 000
- Clean some windows! Some progress.
- Visit joinery factory and discuss possibility of bookshelves/cupboards/TV combination thing. I am hesitant because of space but I so need shelves and don’t know where else to put them but in lounge/sitting room. Sadly no.
July 11th Week
- Continue with stitching in the ditch on Craftsy Garden Charm quilt 2016, ideally would like to get this part finished by next Tuesday.
- Sew block 2 and maybe 3 of Grandma’s Kitchen sew along. Block 1 is completed
- Sew some embroidery stitches on embroidery splendid sampler block and maybe do a few more hexagons for another block in it.
- Read 2 books at least and listen to The Stars are Fire by Anita Shreve as I stitch in the ditch. (Borrowed on CD from the Library).
Well can see and do know really housework not a high priority and I am nervous about this book case I kind of want but just not sure that it will be too over powering in a smallish room but on the other hand I have little storage space and need some! So putting these two goals back in again for this week.
- Clean some more windows
- Visit joiners to discuss book case/cupboards/TV thing.
My major goal for the OMG over at Elm Street Quilts is the one I want to finish the most! It is to take the top I have completed from a Craftsy Class – 2016 Block of the Month taught by Lynette Jensen. I now need to press it, pin baste it and machine stitch in the ditch quilt it with my walking foot and finally bind it.
This is so I can then give it as a gift to my sister who recently turned 65. I did intend it to be for the end of June when her birthday was, however the minky fabric I ordered for the backing has only just arrived, so therefore I will be a little late, but that’s okay.
This is what the quilt top looks like at present.
The quilt pattern was actually larger but I did not want one any larger than this, which will work out and a substantial lap quilt.
Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal July Linkup.
In 2016 I took part in the Splendid Sampler quilt along. As I was just learning to quilt and six inch blocks are quite a challenge, I used scrap material and a few fat quarters. I was going for a purple / yellow look, but I used red/blue too, thinking I might make two quilts. However after thirty blocks I was distracted by other quilt making and just let the blocks sit.
However I thought it a shame to just leave them so decided to practice a little free motion quilting and complete it as a quilt as you go. The quilt is very bright! But… it makes my heart happy and I am already finding it very cosy for cool nights to cuddle into as I read or watch TV.
I completed this quilt in April 2017. I have pre-ordered the Splendid Sampler book and would like to make a large quilt with a quieter more homogenous colours. But one that I still love.
.Some of the blocks included. Clicking on them will bring them up larger.
Dreaming of Dresdens
Vintage Flower Basket
I added cuddle fleece to the back, I had already backed with material, but I wanted something warmer. I had used a cotton batting, which is really a summer kind of weight.
I have washed it successfully and now to use!